For those just learning how to surf you may soon realize that while surf lessons are fun and easy, not everyone out there is as nice as your surf instructor! To help you get a head start we have added a list of the top ten rules of surfing and some words you may want to know.
Surfing Etiquette Do’s and Don’ts
1. Surfer closest to the peak has the right of way
2. Don’t drop in a wave if someone is already riding on it in your direction
3. When learning to surf don’t surf in crowded areas
4. Always hold on to your board and wear a leash
5. Watch out for other surfers
6. If you are paddling back out and a surfer is paddling for a wave always go behind the surfer, NOT in front, to get out of the way
7. Don’t snake or be a wave hog.
8. Respect the beach and respect the locals
9. If you mess up, just apologize and be polite. Remember we were all once beginners too.
10. Take turns and have fun!